It’s almost winter time and that means you need to take care of your perfect pouty lips to prevent all they drying and chapping that happens with the cold winter air. Unless of course you are like me and have dry, chapped lips year round due to allergy medicine drying your skin out. I drink a lot of water, yet still can’t get my lips to stay hydrated unless I exfoliate them on a regular basis.
I’m always amazed how many people don’t realize you need to exfoliate your lips just like you exfoliate the rest of your body. Dry flaky lips are nothing more than dead skin cells that need help sloughing off so that your lips are healthy looking. You have a couple of options when it comes to exfoliating your lips and I prefer to do it the DIY way with household items that I think every household has readily available and free of chemicals. I’ve been making lip scrubs and body scrubs for over a decade now and will never again pay crazy amounts of money for something that is done so easily at home and for a price that is perfect for my frugal lifestyle.
Let’s talk briefly about the benefits of this DIY Lip Scrub before we get on to the how to make this section.
- Natural exfoliate which helps in having healthy, lips due to the exfoliation of dry, chapped skin.
- An emollient, mild emulsifier and humectant which means it helps to moisturize.
Coconut Oil Benefits:
- Natural moisturizer which replenishes moisture to those dry, chapped lips. Great for those winter, wind burned lips.
DIY Lip Scrub
- 2 tbsp. Sugar (preferably brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp. Coconut Oil (Olive Oil is good too)
- 3-5 Lip balm jars or similar container
- You can add flavor oils to your liking. (Peppermint, Chocolate, Coffee, Lemon, etc.)
- Food coloring if you want a bit of color but it’s just going to be wiped off in the end so keep this in mind.
- In a small bowl measure out your sugar and add the oil of your choice. If you use coconut oil like I did you may need to warm it up a bit since coconut oil solidifies when cold. I used a craft stick to thoroughly mix the sugar and oil together. Optional: Once you are finished mixing you can go ahead and a few drops at a time of your flavoring oil and mix thoroughly.
NOTE: I recommend flavoring oils over essential oils for this project as its being applied to your lips. This can be a sensitive area and you don’t want to ingest any essential oils as they probably don’t taste good.
- Scoop out a good amount and place into your containers.
- Optional: If you want to get really cute and crafty you can add some cute labels to the lid or create a cute tag and use some elastic ties before putting the lid on.
How to Use:
- Scoop a small amount out with your finger and apply to lips rubbing gently in a circular motion for about a minute.
- Rinse or wipe lips off gently and apply a moisturizing lip balm.
- Use 2-3 times per week depending on how chapped your lips tend to get.
There you have an easy way to keep you lips soft and kissable regardless of the weather or other contributing factors to those chapped lips. For just a few bucks you can make up a bunch of these and give them as gifts to all your girlfriends for the holidays.
What type of DIY beauty gift are you making and giving this year?