Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
These potatoes are really quite awesome. They are incredibly simple to throw together, and then its just bake & eat. Very easy. I’m all for easy!
You start by melting some butter in a sauce pan. When the butter is melted you then add the flour and whisk in until it’s all combined. Let this cook a bit over low heat, stirring frequently, until it starts to look a little golden. You want a developed roux if you want what you are adding to it to be flavorful. When it’s ready you then add in the milk, 3 cups. Let it cook a bit, stirring some more over medium-low heat, until it thickens up.
Now you will add in a tsp of dry mustard, a 1/2 tsp of salt., and a few shakes of pepper, and a 1 tsp of A-1 steak sauce. Stir this all up well and turn the heat down as low as possible.
Next you can peel and thinly slice 6-7 medium sized potatoes. I love using my slicer when it comes to scalloped potatoes. Makes the slicing much faster, thinner, and more uniform. When you have all the potatoes sliced, lay ? of them them down evenly in a greased casserole dish. Now take a few handfuls of cheese and toss on the potatoes.
Pour about ? of the milk mixture over the potatoes and shake the pan around a bit to make sure to get the cheesy rouxy goodness everywhere. Now top it with another layer of potatoes. Then add more cheese and sauce.
You want to bake the whole thing at 350 degrees until the potatoes are tender, and the cheese is melted. It should take about 35-45 minutes.
- 1/3 cup butter + 1 TBSP butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a few shakes pepper
- 1 tsp A-1 steak sauce
- 6-7 medium sized potatoes potatoes
- 3-4 cups cheddar & colby jack cheese
- Melt butter. Add flour and stir while cooking over low heat until golden brown. Add milk. Stir until thickened. If necessary, add more milk. Add dry mustard, A-1, salt, and pepper. Stir well. Reduce heat to low.
- Peel and slice potatoes into thin, even ovals. Lay into a greased 10×13 pan. Pour sauce over potatoes. You may not need it all. Reserve extra for mac-n-cheese tomorrow. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over top.
- Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and everything is melted and delicious.